Monday 1 November 2010

Remembering Our Departed Loved Ones

Today is All Soul's Day. Until now, I cannot understand why Filipinos visit their departed loved ones on November 1 though it is All Saints Day. Anyone can enlighten me? Hehe.

Death is the end of life, inevitable, so to speak. Everyone will die whether we like it or not. All of us have our own expiration, and God only knows that exact time. The saddest and most painful thing that we can ever encounter as we live on Earth is the death of our loved ones. Although it is a fact that we are all passers here, as the plane of life stop over this Earth, we can still feel the bereavement of our loved ones' departure when the PILOT decided to fly that plane.

In our family we lost five beloved grandparents, My lolo Pepe, nanay Inang, tatay Inchong, lola Fe, and Lolo Deliong. Lolo Pepe passed away last 1993 due to lung disease. He was actually the father of my father. I was only 11 during the time when he was sent back and forth to the hospital due to difficulty in breathing. He finally heaved his last breath on January 7, 2003, two days after the feast of the Three Kings, the last day of Christmas season. We all remember him as a strict, smart, and stiff person, straightforward and sound to his decisions. My nanay Inang was the mother of my mother, she passed away in the New Year's eve, January 31, 2001. She had a brain stroke on December 27, and was in coma for several days, the doctor said that there was no chance that my grandmother will recover. So, my mother and her siblings decided to bring her back home, on her bed, with life support, where she also died. We, her apos remember her as the kindest, most loving, cheerful, nice, understanding and caring lola. My problems seemed to vanish when I felt her hand gently rubbing my back, while uttering “This apo of mine is so nice, I really love my apos”.

-to be continued-

No comments:

Post a Comment